Friday, July 22, 2016

A Day In Her Shoes

"Nicki, you want to support women in the sex industry don't you?" I was asked. No! No I did not. I quickly clarified for my new friend that I had a desire to support people who were struggling, struggling with life, mental illness or overwhelming circumstances. I was passionate about journeying with young women, to support and advocate for them, and to equip them to overcome and to reach their potential. As far as I was concerned that had little to nothing to do with prostitutes.

My friend smiled at me graciously and began to open up her heart. She explained why she wanted to help women in the sex industry. I had no idea that many of these women are victims of human trafficking. Many are sold, tricked or forced into prostitution and frequently by someone that they know and trust. I had no idea that some of these women are actually children. As my friend shared her heart, my own heart broke and my world view shifted. These women that she described were exactly the young women I wanted to journey with.

As we approach the UN World Day Against Trafficking in Persons on July 30th I encourage you to find out more about human trafficking and what you can do about it.

Abolishion offer a free 30 day email course that is designed to...
- inform you about human trafficking,
- help you understand how it works and
- equip you to do something about it.

I have registered for A Day in Her Shoesa campaign run by Abolishion, and will be wearing heels all day on July 30th to raise awareness about human trafficking and to raise funds to prevent human trafficking where it happens. I'll post an update and some selfies with my heels on afterwards.  Watch the video below to find out more and join me in the fight against human trafficking by signing up at adayinhershoes.org

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a message :-)