Friday, August 19, 2016

Book Club: Hope Unfolding

Motherhood. It is so much more than I had imagined. So much more exciting and more rewarding. There are moments of such pride and times I'm smiling so much that my face hurts. On the flip side, however, it can be so much more daunting, more challenging, and more heartbreaking than I had anticipated.

I had a picture in my mind of the type of mother I'd be and the kids I'd raise. Then my babies arrived, and instead of instruction manuals they came with bursting personalities, strong wants and desires, and so much to learn. We all had so much to learn about each other and how to navigate life together.

I'm not the mother I thought I'd be. I think all mothers feel like that at some point. Navigating motherhood is challenging. We try our best yet often feel like we fall short. I still have many moments where I mentally give myself a high five for being exactly what my kids need in that moment, but I want more high five moments.

I have been following a couple blogs that offer encouragement to mums and one of the authors published a book earlier this year.

Hope Unfolding: Grace-Filled Truth for the Momma's Heart by Becky Thompson


I listened to the audio edition of this book a couple of months ago and loved it. I value honesty and grace in motherhood. Listening to Becky was like chatting with a good friend who completely understands the highs and lows of motherhood. Becky is refreshingly honest about her struggles and reminds me that I'm not alone in this crazy adventure. This book encourages me to accept grace and hope for the future, rather than guilt for my shortcomings.

I enjoyed Hope Unfolding so much that I recently ordered the paperback version and intend to read through it again. If you are interested in journeying with me through this book then grab a copy and join me back here at the end of each week. I'll post a summary of what I've learnt or applied from each chapter. I'd love to hear your thoughts also as we read through this book together.

Links to chapter recaps will be posted below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a message :-)