Monday, April 5, 2010

How I Got Hooked

For as long as I can remember crochet has been one of my favorite hobbies. It's something I can happily do anywhere anytime: whether I'm curled up in bed on a rainy day, watching TV, or needing something to do at a social event when I don't know what else to do with myself.

I still remember as a young child the day my mum taught me to crochet. I had thought she was so very clever as she showed me how to make some chain and treble. Away I went creating granny squares out of scrap yarn. The only thing I knew how to do was that granny square, so around and around I'd go until a single square was big enough to cover my bed. I loved it, taking orders for family members, friends, pets and dolls; everyone was given a square blanket.

As time went on I discovered other stitches, yarns, patterns and the different terminology used between America and the rest of the world. I moved on from granny squares, to scarves and beanies, then to jumpers and tops, baby's booties, hats and jackets. And I'm proud to say that I'm now teaching mum how to add crochet edging onto her knitting projects.

Hmm... I think i can hear my crochet and bed calling to me. More info about my current projects will be revealed in the posts to come.

Nicki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a message :-)