Friday, September 2, 2016

Book Club: Hope Unfolding ~ Chapter 1: Diamonds in the Dirt

Hope Unfolding Book Club - Chapter 1Welcome to Book Club!

We are currently reading through Hope Unfolding: Grace-Filled Truth for the Momma's Heart by Becky Thompson. Pick up your copy today (I recommend you check out Booko to compare prices at various retailers)

In chapter 1 Becky discusses expectations and how these can differ from our realities. That, at times, life may look like what we were expecting but feels nothing like what we expected. I've mentioned previously that the reality of motherhood does not match my expectations. In some ways life looks exactly like what I'd though it would - wonderful husband, 3 adorable kids, house, career etc. All those boxes have been ticked yet some days I look around and wonder is this it. As a teenager and young adult I had thought that there were great things to accomplish, that I would make a difference and put my mark on this world or on the lives of those around me. Yet in this current season of life, I'm so consumed with daily responsibilities that any other dreams I once had are fading to the background. Throughout chapter one Becky reminds us that many mums feel this way, and I find it comforting to know that there is a community of mums out there who have similar experiences to mine.

Becky suggests that we can reconcile our expectations with our realities by holding onto the hope that our dreams have not been overlooked and our stories are not yet complete. We need to believe that we are exactly where we are meant to be and that anything is still possible. For me, this reminder that my story is still unfolding and that anything is still possible is exciting, motivating and it offers hope.  Becky poses the question "how would you live if you believed that anything was still possible?" Personally, I'm motivated to look for and accept opportunities that may come my way: opportunities to learn new skills, to be involved with projects that excite me, and to be more present with my kids and others around me instead of worrying about the next task, busying myself, or hiding/escaping in the bathroom or pantry cupboard 😉. It may be easier said than done, I know, but if that's my goal then hopefully little by little that's the direction I'll head in.

I've enjoyed reading this first chapter and I'm looking forward to continuing this journey in the coming weeks. I'd love to hear your response to Becky's question "How would you live if you believed that anything was still possible?" Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a message :-)