Friday, September 9, 2016

Book Club: Hope Unfolding ~ Chapter 2: Ordinary Threads

Hope Unfolding Book Club - Chapter 2
Welcome to Book Club!

We are currently reading through Hope Unfolding: Grace-Filled Truth for the Momma's Heart by Becky Thompson. Pick up your copy today (I recommend you check out Booko to compare prices at various retailers)

No matter how overlooked or forgotten you believe you are, what you are doing in this season of your life has significance - Becky Thompson

This chapter builds upon the previous one, further addressing that idea of dreams that have yet to come to pass and the stagnant feeling that we have during seasons of life when we are waiting on something. While the first chapter focused on being hopeful because there is more to come in the future; in chapter two Becky suggests that it is also important to stop and look around at where you are now because, whilst it might not feel like it, this present season is also an important part of your story.

Sometimes it feels like life is on hold. There have been big moments in my life, such as graduating, starting new jobs, travelling, working on exciting projects, getting married and having babies, but the years in between those moments can sometimes feel like 'filler years' where I'm just waiting and surviving but not truly living. Like a hamster in a wheel racing around in circles. Sometimes I have deliberately put things on hold so that I can focus my energies on my family; other times I have reluctantly passed up opportunities because the logistics of juggling those projects on top of daily responsibilities seemed too difficult to manage. Once again, in these seasons of waiting for the next big moment, I have found myself wondering is this it.

Becky suggests that we need to change our perspectives about these 'waiting years'. She argues that these years are significant not only because they are preparing us for the future but also for their own value right now.

After reading this chapter I am challenged to accept that I am right where I need to be, and that there are people in my world right now with whom I can make a difference, right where I am and as I am. There are life lessons to teach my kids; there are new mums at playgroup who ask about my experiences; and there are random mums in supermarkets who need an encouraging smile or a friendly "You are doing a good job". My experiences and life lessons can spark ideas and hope for others in similar circumstances. Whilst I still feel like there is another big moment hiding and waiting for me around a corner somewhere (and I'd love to know when and how I'll get there), I'm choosing to believe that this season of life right now is still significant and doesn't need to be rushed aside for the next big thing.

What did you think of chapter two? Can you think of a time when you felt you were on hold? Has your perspective on the 'waiting years' changed after reading this chapter? Let me know in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a message :-)